Thursday, June 16, 2011

Spice Cake with Buttercream Frosting






Yeah that sounds like old people cake!  But oh my my.  I snooped around on the internet looking for a recipe that sounded great. Well I found several... Paula Deen was the first one I noticed but the reviews were very mixed. Her recipes are not for the faint of heart when it comes to sweetness, and that was the main complaint about her spice cake....WAY TO SWEET! To me that sounds like the perfect dessert but since its not for me I need a less pucker worthy recipe. I did find one, but I like flavor so I made changes and the cake was so great! Definitely a keeper and will be made often.

My husband does lunch and cake for his team.  Each person gets to choose the cake they want and someone either buys one or bakes one. When he said spice cake I had to give it a go. I doubled the spices, and I have to say it was so fragrant, and thank goodness the kids were in bed, cause I scraped that bowl clean, the batter was yummy! The smell reminded me of the holidays, I can't wait to make it again once the weather gets cool. I don't drink coffe but this would go well with a hot cup of Joe.

The cake assembly for me takes place on day 2, I like to give the cake a full 24 hours to cool, then I will make the buttercream frosting. The birthday girl specifically asked for buttercream, I would have liked a browned butter, brown sugar or caramel icing, but hey its her cake, so buttercream she gets!


Spice Cake

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups bleached all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup salted butter, softened until easily spreadable
  • 2 cups dark brown sugar
Directions
1.     Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a 9-by-13-inch pan or 2 eight inch rounds.
2.     Combine dry ingredients and spices in a large bowl.
3.     Beat softened butter into dry ingredients, first on low, then medium, until mixture forms pebble-sized pieces.
4.     Mix milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a separate bowl or large measuring cup
5.     Add milk in thirds; the first third beat on low until smooth. Add remaining two 1/3s one at a time, beat on medium speed until batter is just smooth between additions. Add brown sugar; beat until just mixed.
6.      Pour batter into cake pan.
7.     Bake until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the cake's center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Set pan on a wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the pan perimeter and turn cake onto rack. Let cool.
Variations – You can add raisins to this cake too, just:  Simmer  1/2 c. raisins until plump, drain the liquid and added them to the batter. You can simmer in water, juice or a favorite liquor.

Fast ButterCream Icing
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • Pinch salt
  • 6 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Directions
1.     Beat the butter, shortening and salt together until creamy with an electric mixer.
2.     Add half the confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
3.     Combine the vanilla extract and heavy cream.
4.     Gradually beat in the remaining confectioners' sugar alternating with the cream mixture until it is all incorporated and the frosting is very light and fluffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment