Friday, June 3, 2011

Old English Cheesy Bagel Dip

I remember the first time I tried this dip. I dipped the bagel and took a bite and thought dang this is good, then I ate it for about 10 minutes straight.  This was a friend's party and she got the recipe from a family friend.
I like sauces and dips, really any appetizer so this one became a pet project to improve to my liking and now I get requests for it for every party I throw or attend. The reason I improved it, well even tho it was delish I thought it was missing something, it was just cheese and onion and bland. I serve it cold, but a co-worker used my recipe and served it warm and said it was pretty good but she liked mine better (awe, shucks). I tend to double the recipe cause it always goes fast. This is popular with the guys, they like that garlic and cayenne kick.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1 jar, 5oz Kraft Old English cheese spread
1 pkg, 8oz cream cheese, softened
1 bunch green onions, chopped
Red cayenne pepper (optional; amount used is up to you)
Garlic Powder (optional; amount used is up to you)
1 bag of plain bagels, cut into to dipping sized pieces (about eight pieces per bagel).
Directions
  1. Mix Old English Cheese spread and Cream cheese.  Mix until smooth and creamy.  Add in chopped green onion.  Sprinkle with Red cayenne pepper and garlic powder, mix well.
  2. Store in a small serving bowl. 
  3. Serve with cut up bagels.

NOTE: You can serve immediately, but it is better if it sits overnight or at least a few hours. 
NOTE: I normally serve cold, but have given the recipe to folks who serve it hot.
NOTE: For parties, I normally make a double batch.  Yes it is that good J
NOTE: Thomas plain bagels are my favorite cuz they are fluffy and soft, but store brand is good too
NOTE: Old English cheese is kept with Cheese Whiz and Velveeta in the grocery, it comes in a small glass jar – most stores carry this. I have substituted cheese whiz in this, it is very similar, if you don't have access to Old English or don't want to spend that much money on it, substitute for chees whiz or store generic and doctor up with the spices.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment